The winter is here: six tips to improve your visibility!
The summer is well and truly over. So during these dark months, your bicycle lights are extra important. While we all know this, sometimes the fixed light on our bicycle breaks or we forget to bring our lights with us, or the batteries run out.
Prevent accidents and avoid fines
Even if you can cycle without lights, car and bus drivers are not able to see you as clearly if you do not have your bicycle lights on. That is why a quarter of all bicycle accidents happen in the dark. Furthermore, if you cycle without lights, you may receive a fine of €55.
- Turn on your bicycle lights as soon as it starts getting dark.
- If you are cycling together with a colleague, friend, or children, then make sure their bicycle lights are working (after you have checked your own, of course)!
- Make sure you have a spare set of lights and batteries.
- Repair broken lights within a week.
- If you normally wear dark coats or jackets, then bicycle lights are even more important!
- You can also visit daarkunjemeethuiskomen.nl (only available in Dutch) for more information on the Ministry of Infrastructure and Public Works’s bicycle light campaign.