Shared bikes: an ideal combination with public transport or a P+R
Maastricht is a compact city. You can easily hop on a shared bike to cycle those last kilometres from the station to your final destination. Shared bikes are also a quick, cheap, and eco-friendly way to travel to your destination from one of the low-cost parking locations on the outskirts of the city. Arriva has Nextbikes in nine locations, and the Dutch Railways (NS) hires out ‘OV-fietsen’ (public transport bicycles) at their stations.
- Rent by personal OV-chipkaart. In order to use a bike, you must have a season ticket. You can easily arrange this free season ticket online, and link it to your OV-chipkaart.
- Using an OV-fiets costs € 3,85 per 24 hours. After 72 hours you pay an extra € 5,- every 24 hours.
- The bikes can be found at several train stations in Limburg.
Nextbike: the public bike sharing system by Arriva
- Rent by appNextbike, Arriva's shared bicycles, will soon be available at nine locations: Maastricht's main railway station and the Maastricht Randwyck and Maastricht Noord stations, as well as Keizer Karelplein and Vrijthof squares, Boschstraat, Markt (market square), Centre Céramique, Provincie Limburg and the Police office (Prins Bisschopsingel).
- Alternatively, you can take out The Arriva bicycle-sharing scheme is also available. For more information, please visit www.nextbike.nl.
- The goal is to expand the bicycle-sharing system in Maastricht to include at least 250 bicycles at 25 different locations.
- You can easily hire a shared bicycle using a free app for your mobile phone.
- A subscription (60,- a year) gives you unlimited access to the shared bicycles for up to thirty minutes per ride. A higher fee applies for rides that are longer than thirty minutes.
- Without a subscription you pay€ 1,50 per ride (30 minutes).
- Nextbikes are found only in Maastricht at Maastricht Centraal, Maastricht Randwyck, Maastricht Noord, Mosae Forum, Keizer Karelplein/Vrijthof, Boschstraat/Markt, Avenue Céramique, Provincie Limburg and at the Police Office - Prins Bisschopsingel.
- More information can be found at www.nextbike.nl.
Nextbike in Maastricht to end
The Nextbike shared bicycles in Maastricht will be removed starting 31 July 2020. At the end of summer 2020, Arriva will introduce its own bicycle-sharing scheme in Maastricht.
You can use the Nextbike bicycles with the pay-as-you-go option until 31 July. It costs €1.50 per 30 minutes. Arriva has no longer offered the options to purchase new subscriptions or extend existing ones.