With car sharing, different people use the same car at different times. This way you use the car as optimally as possible, because cars average about 90% of the time stationary. You temporarily use a car that does not belong to you for a particular trip. Then another person uses it again for another ride. You can also share your own car or a private lease car with others on a car-sharing platform, whereby you rent it out when you're not using it.
Advantages of car sharing
- Car sharing is flexible as you only use the car when you need it.
- Car sharing is a deliberate choice and careful planning allows you to travel whenever you want. You choose the car that suits your trip. For example: choose a large car for a holiday or when moving house.
- Car sharing saves money. Owning your own car can be expensive in terms of both fixed and variable costs (amortization, taxes, insurance, parking permit, parking costs, inspections, repairs, etc.). Sharing a car can save you money, especially if you only use your car occasionally.
- Car sharing is green and social. According to the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL), car sharing results in a 30% reduction in the number of cars on the road and an 18% reduction in the number of kilometres driven. This means less pressure on public spaces and parking facilities.
Car-sharing providers and locations in South Limburg
At ritjeweg.nl, you can enter your postcode to see the location of shared cars offered by various providers.
In South Limburg you will find Greenwheels, MyWheels and We Drive Solar. Through the platform SnappCar, individuals also offer their own car as a share car.
- Eijsden: NS Station Eijsden - Stationsplein 9
- Heerlen: NS Station Heerlen P+R
- NS Station Maastricht/Parallelweg 33
- Overwal 1
- Behind the Barracks 29
- Frankenstraat t.o. 51
- Bellefroidlunet o.o. 20 to 22
- Bloemenweg 38
- Sibemaweg 101
- Henri Hermanspark
- Sint Servaasbolwerk
- Alfons Ariënsstraat 104
- Luikerweg 12
- Via Regia 100
- Sittard: NS Station Sittard/Stationsplein 2
- Stein: Havenstraat 7
- P+R Station
- Burgemeester van Oppenstraat
Location We Drive Solar:
- Maastricht: Maastricht Alexander Battalaan 49
You can then find more information on how to reserve a shared car on the website of providers for shared transport such as Greenwheels, SnappCar, We Drive Solar (in Dutch) and MyWheels.
Prefer your own car?
If car sharing isn't for you and you prefer to drive your own car, consider carpooling to work with colleagues who live nearby. Or become a more economical driver by adopting the new way of driving.Make sure your tyres are always at the right pressure , as this is better for the environment, or choose an electric car or hybrid car.